Despite the constant adverts and efforts by the fire brigade, so many of us are rubbish about checking our smoke alarms regularly or even having them properly installed at all. But what about other health and safety essentials? While in Oman I lived in three houses, none of which had smoke alarms and trying to buy a smoke alarm was impossible. When we had the Mini Grumpy Egyptian I swore I would do everything I could to protect her, but while coming up with my lists of things I had to get done before her birth, I totally forgot about a carbon monoxide detector.
After moving back to the UK, we do have one in the kitchen, but I couldn’t tell you when it was last tested or shamelessly if it even works. And it is this forgetfulness that a campaign by Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed is trying to tackle by making people aware how deadly not having a working detector can be. According to Department of Health statistics, 50 people die each year in the UK from Carbon Monoxide poisoning and another 4,000 are treated in hospital, but the numbers are thought to be higher due to the symptoms of poisoning being confused with a bad flu or sleepiness.
I was unaware of this campaign until I came across it on CupcakeMumma, who kindly agreed to let me link to her post. Click HERE to read what she wrote. I have also included the useful infographic that she included on her blog within this post.
I am off to test mine now, what are you waiting for?
The Egyptian Mummy