Monday 6 November 2017

Dear Issy - first day at school



*I wrote this on Issy's first day at school, but late posting*


Dear Issy,

Well today you started school. You were so proud putting on your uniform and in an instant you looked so much more grown up to me. You grumbled about me wanting to take your photo outside our house before we walked to school with Grandad, but you did it anyway because you are such a lovely little girl.

Somehow you managed to look so grown up, yet so small as you held my hand and squeezed it a bit tighter as we walked across the playground towards your classroom.

I’m so proud of the way you kissed grandad goodbye then gave me my kiss and squeeze before skipping off into class without missing a beat. I didn’t cry, Grandad would never have let me live it down, but know I did feel a little bit sad. I felt sad for you that someone was missing from your first day and didn’t even know that you were starting school as he calls so sporadically. I know you didn't give it a second thought, but looking at the other parents, I did wish things had been different for us. But you have me and I promise even when your a teenager screaming at me for being such an awful mum (I'm actually bloody amazing, but I get you won't get that at the time), that I’m always here for you.

We’ve been through a lot together kid and while you drive me crackers sometimes, more often than not mid losing my shit, I find myself smiling as I know deep down that I’m just arguing with a mini version of myself. I hope you love school and carry on asking questions, wanting to know more and wondering why things are the way they are. Those are the types of questions that can change the word and change it for the better you already have.

I loved school really and the fact you have my addiction to reading already makes me prouder than you’ll ever know. I’m sorry I can’t be there at the school gates every afternoon, but Friday is our day and for as long as you want it to be, it always will. I know sometimes you say you’re sad that I go to work, but I do it for us. For our future, not just our now.

I can’t wait to hear about all the things you will learn and look forward to learning more about phonics! You’re already better at those than me!

Forever and always my little squishy,

Mummy x

ps. I promise to learn how to do plaits and fancy hairstyles at some point, but until then it's crazy hair or ponytails I'm afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment